Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Scary, Starry Night


Had a fun afternoon in my craftroom today. Inspired and challenged by the online community, Unruly Paperarts , the monthly challenge-RAQ 1 is to "use the scariest color of all-black" and make any project you'd like. I started out to make a Halloween card for my college son who lives away from home, but my art morphed into a small wall hanging which I probably will keep for myself and enjoy! Sorry, Doug.
Starting with a scrap of art journaling background painted paper I'd had left over from a previous project- the background was stamped with Starry, Starry Night-a Hero Arts Stamp. Love this swirling, little twinkling star design! Almost everyone else in the world has already used the cute Rickety House Sissix Die by Tim Holtz but this is my first project featuring this haunted house. Together with some small punched-out stars and Tim Holtz's (31) numerals from his Gothic Boo die, the rickety house fit right into this Halloween night scene. Extra handcut embellishments from unused projects added just the right finishing touches. My " man in the moon" is stamped from a Skull stamp on acetate which is cut out by hand. When mounted, the image becomes faded which gives the vague appearance of a man, but not as scary as a skull. Perfect for me because my art friends will tell you I am not a Halloween enthusiast for decorating or making art! Happy Halloween sentiment is cut from Tattered Angels Halloween Bingo Set, I believe. http://unrulypaperarts.blogspot.com/p/raq1.htmlFinally, the pumpkin sitting on the lawn is a clever embossed stamped (Inkadoo) handcut piece. Magnify your screen and focus in on it. Can you see all of the creepy, fun Halloween images which make up the pumpkin? OK.. I'll help, the eyes are 2 tiny skulls and a bat forms the mouth!
Ranger Stickles-gunmetal and silver along with old fashioned silver glitter added just the right amount of "pop" to this piece.
Even though I had been hoarding this Tim Holtz burlap canvas, I used it for mounting my Halloween scene backed by black cardstock. Gluing the papers into place, the vintage moth stamped image on the original burlap canvas had distressed edges which added interest. It was hard to cover up the great design but it made an easy mount for my artwork. Black cording came in handy to use for a hanger when glued onto the burlap canvas.
Voila! done in time to photograph this holiday hanging in daylight and post on my blog before a late dinner...truthfully a very, very late dinner.  LOL.
So very pleased with it all !
Check out the other entries for the RAQ1 challenge(and all the challenges!)over at Unruly Paper Arts. Better yet, play along with creating your own entry. Happy Halloween Everyone!


6 comments:

  1. Very cool! Your composition takes me right into the night, from the man in the moon to the fab pumpkin! Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I appreciate so much you taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  2. What a great Halloween hanging! Love that house!!! Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had fun making up the scene. Thanks, Terrie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, this is so wonderful Chris!! I just love it!! Thank you for joining us over at Unruly PaperArts for Octobers RAQ. We hope you will join in again.

    ReplyDelete